UN Secretary General and DPR authorities announced the evacuation of 500 people from Azovstal
During the joint operation of the UN and the Red Cross, up to 518 people, including 67 children, were taken out of the blocked plant and adjacent territories. The UN expressed hope for continued coordination between Moscow and Kyiv The UN Secretary General and the DPR authorities announced the evacuation of 500 people from Azovstal” />
About 500 people were evacuated from the territory of the Azovstal plant blocked by Russian troops. in Mariupol. This was announced on Twitter by UN Secretary General António Guterres and confirmed in Telegram by the headquarters of the territorial defense of the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR).
“In the course of a joint operation by the UN and the International Committee of the Red Cross, two columns evacuated about 500 people from the Azovstal plant while ensuring security. in Mariupol and adjacent territories»,— wrote Guterres.
The head of the UN expressed the hope that continued coordination between Moscow and Kyiv would increase the number of “humanitarian pauses” for the safe exit of civilians from the blocked zone.
The headquarters of the territorial defense of the DPR specified that 518 people were evacuated from Mariupol in a day. “518 people, including 67 children, were evacuated to [settlement] Bezymennoye in the Novoazovsky district [Donetsk region]. Currently, they are at the point of assistance to the evacuated population, which is deployed by the forces of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the DPR», — the message says.
The headquarters noted that in total, from March 5 to the present, 28,336 people were transported to the aid point in Bezymyanny.
Read on RBC Pro Pro More than 25% of newcomers leave the company almost immediately. How to keep them Pro instructions How new technologies “stole” the charisma of Starbucks Articles Pro Why blocking the development of employees is especially dangerous now business “cuts” the IT infrastructure of Russian branches Instructions Pro Put up a golden shield: why e-mail newsletters do not work in China Instructions Pro Why import substitution of software in Russia will go the way of the Belarusian shrimp Articles
The third operation under the auspices of the UN to evacuate the civilian population from Mariupol began on May 5. The deputy head of the organization for humanitarian affairs, Martin Griffiths, who announced the start of this operation, declined to voice its details. He thanked the Ukrainian and Russian authorities for the “constructive and important cooperation that makes it possible to bring the [evacuation] operation to life.”
Evacuation of civilians from the territory of the Azovstal plant became one of the main topics of the meeting of the UN Secretary General with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on April 26. The Ukrainian authorities asked Guterres to become the initiator and guarantor of the withdrawal of civilians from the plant, and he offered Putin the mediation of the UN and the Red Cross. After the consent of the Russian president, the UN began to form a group whose purpose was to coordinate the evacuation.
The fighting in the Mariupol region has been going on almost since the beginning of the operation on February 24th. In early March, the city was surrounded, on March 18, the Ministry of Defense already reported on the fighting in the central regions. On April 16, a spokesman for the ministry, Igor Konashenkov, said that the urban area of Mariupol had been “cleansed”; from Ukrainian troops.
Putin ordered to cancel the assault on the territory of the Azovstal plant as impractical April 21st. At a meeting with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, he stated that he had made this decision to “preserve the lives and health of our soldiers and officers,” but ordered to block the industrial zone “so that a fly would not fly by.” Then Shoigu said that more than 2,000 Ukrainian military personnel were blocked on the territory of the plant.
On May 4, the Interdepartmental Coordination Headquarters of Russia for Humanitarian Response announced that on May 5, 6 and 7, the Russian military would open humanitarian corridors from the territory of “Azovstal” in the direction of both Russia and Ukraine.
Article content Authors Tags Subscribe to Telegram